Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] TCP Dup Ack Issues with Comcast vs. Cablevision

From: Alan Emery <ademery@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:35:55 -0600

This may be more related to a setting on the wireless access point. If the wireless AP is not set to a fixed mode such as "g" or "n", and it "hears" the presence of a "b" device associated or not, it will go into a compatibility mode and effectively run at the lower "b" rate. In my SOHO environment, I fix my wireless mode to "g" as that is compatible with all the devices I want to have connected, but if a guest brings in a "b" mode device, they cannot connect, but they don't downgrade the throughput of my existing network. Your 6-9 Mbps throughput is more typical of what I would expect in a "b" environment.

If you can isolate the wireless AP to a switch that will allow you to connect a local target device, or to switch ports on the AP if available, you can look at throughput just going through the AP to a local target device to see if the issue lies with the AP or not.

Alan Emery

IBM Global Solution Center
1177 S Beltline Road, Coppell, TX 75019

Inactive hide details for William Howard ---02/26/2010 09:32:29 AM---We have been investigating what seems to be an obscure issWilliam Howard ---02/26/2010 09:32:29 AM---We have been investigating what seems to be an obscure issue with regards to Comcast speeds wired v

William Howard <wghoward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

02/26/2010 09:32 AM

[Wireshark-users] TCP Dup Ack Issues with Comcast vs. Cablevision

Sent by:

wireshark-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

We have been investigating what seems to be an obscure issue with regards to Comcast speeds wired vs. wireless "G" speeds on a 30/5 circuit.

Here are the symptoms:

Wired (directly to modem): Speeds are what one would expect - 25-30 Mbps down and 4-5 Mbps up.

Wireless: Speeds are in the 6-9 Mbps. We have tried a variety of consumer and higher end APs/Wireless routers. All with the same basic results - the speeds are significantly slower.
    • The wireless NIC was connected with a "good" signal at 54 Mbps.
    • I verified that wireless interference was not an issue.
    • I tried several different laptops to make sure that the particular wireless NIC was an issue.
    • The AP/Router were the only items on the circuit. Time of day did not matter as I tried going back and forth between wired and wireless - both produced consistent speeds each time.
What we did discover is that when testing the same equipment on a cablevision/optimum online 30/5 circuit, the problems virtually disappear. Wired speeds are equivalent to Comcast but wireless speeds were in the 15-19 Mbps range.

In order to dig deeper, I captured wireshark traces for both wired/wireless on Comcast and Optimum Online circuits. The biggest difference I could find is that on the Comcast circuit both wired and wireless, there were many: TCP Dup ACK packets (see below for an example)
      TCP [TCP Dup ACK 17802#55] http > apc-3052 [ACK] Seq=8154484 Ack=307815 Win=206848 Len=0 SLE=370595 SRE=447975 SLE=331175 SRE=335555
I have seen the "tcp optimizers" and they have produced good results and have improved the Comcast speeds to 12-16 Mbps but it seems very odd that only Comcast seems to suffer from packets arriving out of order (or whatever is causing this) but Cablevision does not. I don't like the idea of having to change a client device when it seems like this problem lies within the Comcast network.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there a solution without changing the client laptop? We would like to have a solution that is hardware based (router or firmware) rather than telling users they must all make registry changes which makes us nervous (liability) and end-users irritated that "it works on other networks without a problem"

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Will Howard