Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Turn Truncation off

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:23:55 -0500
Habib wrote:
Hey everyone,

I just started using Wireshark, and I noticed that if a string in a packet is too long, Wiresharks truncates it and append [truncated] to the string. My question is: is there a way to turn truncation off, or to increase the maximum untruncated string size. I tried to search in the archives of this mailing list for an answer with no success.

Not without recompiling the software. Wireshark has a fixed-size buffer for some things (ITEM_LABEL_LENGTH). That size can be made bigger at the expense of extra memory usage, even for the common case of shorter strings. Making the size dynamic appears non-trivial.