Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] How much overhead does a Wireshark capture file contain ?

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:34:42 -0500
Bill Meier wrote:
Henry Meleg wrote:
So I need to measure the traffic in bytes between two endpoints. If I
set up Wireshark on a laptop whose interface is enabled for promiscuous
mode and specify a capture filter between the source and destination IP
addresses that I am interested in and capture to a file then will that
file size be an accurate reflection of the traffic between the two
endpoint.
Does Wireshark add any overhead to the capture file that I need to take
into account by subtracting it from the captured file size to get a
accurate traffic figure which I require to set up bandwidth management
filters.
Can anybody help ?

Also see:

http://wiki.wireshark.org/Tools

for a list of various useful network tools.