Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Dumpcap instead of Winpcap?

From: "km" <km@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:54:12 +0100
I have installed the latest versions of Wireshark (1.2.6) and WinPcap (4.1.1). When I start a capture the screen goes black but for a white cursor. This is Dumpcap, which seems to be used in stead of WinPcap. I can bring back the desktop by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL and Wireshark is capturing packets. I have used Ethereal/Wireshark for years without any problems.

I have checked with msinfo32 that WinPcap (npf) is running.

What's going on? Is this a configuration issue?

I have also tried to go back to older versions of both programs and the same thing happens.

Grateful for an explanation.