Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] wireless settings is not available

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 10:23:18 -0800
On Feb 2, 2010, at 10:12 AM, hong zhang wrote:

> I use wireshark windows version. But wireless settings button on Capture Option is disabled. My wireless card of Intel 4965 and Atheros A5008 cannoed be used for Sniffer if wireless settings is disabled.
>
> I think I miss a capture driver for my cards. How could I solve this problem?

No, you're missing a capture card for your machine:

	http://www.cacetech.com/products/airpcap.html

Unlike some commercial network analyzers, we don't have our own special drivers for capturing with various network adapters, and WinPcap doesn't support NDIS 6 and thus can't support the "Native Wi-Fi" capabilities of some drivers on Windows Vista and 7 (and possibly some service packs for XP), so the only devices with which you can, on Windows, do "monitor mode"-style capturing with Wireshark are the special AirPcap adapters.