Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Battlefield Vietnam rcon protcol, login encryption?

From: "Simone Neugierig" <commercials@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:10:33 +0100
Hi,

im interrested in finding out how the username/password is encrypted before send in this protocol.
The game is from 2003.

Ive made some captures and probably found the packets containing the login data, but the same username/password is encrypted differently at every login.
After the tcp handshake, the server sends a 20byte number/char combination - i guess its used to encrypt the passwords because someone found out how its done in the game they produced after this.

http://bf2.fun-o-matic.org/index.php/RCon_Protocol

There the server sends a "digest", the client uses md5 on "digest"+password and sends the result back
(In BF2 they only use a password, no username)

The encrypted password for BFV is always (len(password)+1)*2. So its not md5 or any other encryption that returns a fixed size result.

Ive doccumented my findings here (including wireshark captures):
http://141.41.98.152:9999/dw-public/doku.php?id=start

Maybe someone has an idea or knows what was commonly used around 2003 todo this?

If i left important information out, please ask.
This is my first attempt at gathering login information via wireshark, so i have no clue if this is solveable.

greets
Julius

--
Preisknaller: GMX DSL Flatrate f�r nur 16,99 Euro/mtl.!
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02