Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] how to start Wireshark automatically at each boot-up?

From: Ian Schorr <ian.schorr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:54:06 +1100
Agreed.  I'm really not sure what you're trying to accomplish with
Wireshark here.  If you're simply looking for a report of how much
data has been transmitted and received, surely you don't want to
CAPTURE and SAVE all of that data - just know how much transferred?

There are a number of freeware utilities, depending on your OS,
designed to report and calculate Internet usage, that require much
less overhead than Wireshark..

Depending on what traffic is important to you (or more specifically,
if only a subset of traffic you transfer is important or not), you
might be able to just look at periodic outputs of "netstat -i".

If you're looking for a text-based report, you may want to consider
using "tshark", the "-z io,stat" option (and redirect output to a
file), and possibly a script that restarts tshark periodically.

Or if you really need to capture the data, dumpcap would be MUCH more
appropriate for long-term captures.