Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Noob Questions

From: Collin D Wainscott <cdwainscott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:36:39 -0500
Hey Wireshark Users,

I am pretty new to understanding wireshark and need to know a few things for a project I am doing.  First off, what exactly does the line "x bytes on wire, x bytes captured" refer to?  Also I am looking for some confirmation on the direction of my project or advice.  I am trying to monitor exactly how much data is being sent to and from a specific IP address.  Would the previously mentioned line tell me this information?  If this is worded awkwardly, just tell me and I will try to specify what I am looking for.

Thanks and godspeed,
Collin Wainscott