Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Debugging Wireshark dissector plugins

Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 14:23:48 -0500

Don’t use the protocol and then you wouldn’t have to dissect it :-)

Windows or linux?

When you build your dissector make sure you build with symbols (different than a debug build) and get yourself some debugging tools. For windows http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/Devtools/Debugging/default.mspx you want to get 32bit for a 32 bit Wireshark or 64bit for a 64bit Wireshark. Don’t get the IA64 unless you are on Itanium hardware.

Under windows

-You can use <debugging tools install>\adplus.vbs to create -hang dumps (snapshots of memory) to see whats going on. Sounds like a busy hang (cpu at 50%) so you will need to take 3 or more snapshots and see how it moved from dump to dump

-You can attach with the debugger to Wireshark (<debugging tools install>\windbg –pn Wireshark.exe) and with your symbols and source code you can step through the code and see whats going on.

Under linux I have no idea, if you are under linux let me know and ill see if I can get you some info

Hope that helps