Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Creating and Modifying Packets

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:30:40 -0800
On Jan 10, 2010, at 9:11 PM, Hrishikesh Murali wrote:

> Is it possible to create packets with customized HTTP/TCP/IP headers  and then transmit them using wireshark?

No.

> If not, is there a tool which makes this possible?

There's a "Tools" page on the Wireshark Wiki:

	http://wiki.wireshark.org/Tools

which has a "Traffic generators" section:

	http://wiki.wireshark.org/Tools#head-533ceb0292aac1ed2b541ebf91bd2903f55f70b1

which lists some tools that might be useful.

> Also, is it possible to temporarily capture packets using wireshark, modify any content we want to, and then transmit them to their desired location?

If you save the captured packets from Wireshark, some of those tools - for example, Bit-Twist - might let you read that capture file, modify packets in it, and transmit them.