Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] tcp reassembly

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 08:51:19 +1100

Your "protocol" needs to convey this information - there is nothing in TCP that knows when the SDU (Service Data Unit) is carrying is finished. Basically you have two options. Either your protocol (that defines that those 5000 bytes is a Protocol Data Unit) needs to provide  a header (indicating at least the length) OR a trailer, that has some sort of a delimiter (say a NULL character or CRLF) that indicates your PDU is finished. Together this is basically known as framing, by which you indicate the begin and end of your data units.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx