Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Installing with libpcap 1.0

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 19:18:25 -0700

On Dec 14, 2009, at 10:07 AM, Brian Rayburn wrote:

believe it or not, this problem is still kicking me around (although I haven't really put in any effort since I last responded except:). I have gotten the top of the git-tree libpcap and confirmed it's installation with
ldconfig -p | grep pcap
which returns a nice:
    libpcap.so.1 (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libpcap.so.1
    libpcap.so.0.8 (libc6) => /usr/lib/libpcap.so.0.8
    libpcap.so (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libpcap.so

But when I install wireshark, it still uses to the .0.9.8 (through a symbolic link in the 0.8 reference shown above). This I gather from the About Wireshark screen in wireshark which lists the libraries used.

Can I force Wireshark to use the newer version?

Try running configure with the argument --with-pcap=/usr/local

Steve