Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Regarding tcp.stream filtering.

From: "Sake Blok" <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 12:57:53 +0100
Hi Med,

This is "expected" behavior. Internally, Wireshark uses conversations to keep track of sessions. These conversations are not limited to TCP (also UDP traffic can cause a conversation entry to be created for example). To make implementation easier, processing faster and memory footprint lighter, I used the conversation index as value for tcp.stream. This indeed means that there can be gaps in the numbering. Please also note that tcp.stream can also be 0.

Hope this clarifies things,
Cheers,

Sake