Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark hangs Ubuntu 9.10

From: Rick Horowitz <rickhoro@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 21:53:49 -0500
Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 with wireshark 1.2.2, the standard install. I tried wireshark from the Applications menu but wireshark doesn't find any interfaces (I assume due to not having the appropriate permissions).  To work around this, I ran wireshark with:

> sudo wireshark

When I try a capture on eth0, the system hangs and I need to press the reset or power button on the computer to reboot it.

I installed ettercap-gtk and it does the same thing -- system hang. Any idea what's going on and how to fix it?

Thanks very much,

Rick Horowitz