Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Slow database access

From: John Hinckley <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 12:07:47 -0800
Martin,

Could the SMB errors be related to "opportunistic locking"?  If so, would there be a way to find that in a capture?

Thanks,
John

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't think your issue is network (IP layer or lower) related. The TCP checksum errors are purely due to the smart & fast TCP offloading done by your NIC. (In your Wirehark Preferences and the Protocol section turn off the checksum verification option for TCP). If you were getting real physical errors you would see TCP retransmissions of even TCP header issues, which aren't

It is difficult to determine the issue from what you have give, especicially not knowing the intricacies of your application.

Some things I have noted is that that there a few points at which your client requests SMB resources but does not obtain them causing a short timeouts. For instance the SMB requests responded to in  frames 2279, 2282 and 2286 result in a sharing violation. Between each seems to be an *exact* 1 second timeout at the server. Each query is asking in a different way (with different access requirements), I guess in order to probe for the right resource access. But this definitely would "lock" your client app while it gets the answer. But this possibly doesn't explain the 3 - 10 second lockups you are seeing.
.
The other thing I see (which has the "btrieve" TCP port 3351 ) is lots of small transactions. While I don't think it is broken, it is probably inefficient. You may find that part of it can be fine tuned (in the application)

You have provided a 2 minute long capture, and it is hard to determine exactly where the user level interactions occur - and where they match the network traffic. For this scenario, particular if the app isn't well understood, I use a bit of a logged time and motion study. To do this

1. Run wireshark in a capture mode - but only display "capture info dialog"
2. When the user starts a transaction (clicks on button, presses enter, etc) note the packet total/ seconds from the capture info dialog
3. When you see an appropriate response on the client screen (data displayed, etc), note the related packet number/time
4. Repeat as necessary with different scenarios. I try to vary the transactions that help characterise the applications. You might find some user level queries/transactions have quick responses, and others can generate a long response time. These will help show up whether there is a network bandwidth issue, or server related problems.
5. From what you have you can try and bracket what network activity matches different transactions. Looking at the IO graph on wireshark can also help visualise this.

If you want to do this and effectively annotate the capture again we could look at it some more.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx