Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] How to capture MAC layer packets (Wifi Beacons for instance)

From: "Pedro Rosas" <pedro.rosas.mcc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 17:10:37 -0000

Hi all,

I am currently working on a project at my university, and I need to capture some 802.11 frames.

For instance, I need to capture the Beacons sent from the APs usually every 100ms.

When I run Wireshark both on windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.04 I can only capture packets from higher layers (TCP, HTTP, etc.).

Is it possible to capture the frames from MAC layers of 802.11? For instance, the beacons?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

  Pedro Rosas