Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Copying details to clipboard

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:13:28 +0100
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 07:30:05PM +0800, Mathias Koerber wrote:

> I know it is possible to use the export function to export the
> details of selected packets to a file. However, that is a very clumsy
> way of doing this. It would be much more useful if there was a
> copy function to copy the current contents of a pane (details, list,
> bytes) to the clipboard. Then one would not have to re-open a textfile
> over and over to get at the details for a report on the analysis.
> One could just select the packet one is interested in,
> select the level of detail by expanding/collapsing fields and then
> copy to paste the result into a report.

There are a few copy functions available already, but these are mostly
bound to little bits of information (like one row in the packet list or
one row, field, value in the detail pane). It would be great to be able
to have more copy functions and our suggestion to copy the contents of a
particular pane in the way that it is shown on the screen would be very
handy indeed...

The way I do this for reporting is to use screenshots, which works fine
for me so far...

> Are there any efforts to provide such a function?

The first step towards those efforts would be to either file an
enhancement request on https://bugs.wireshark.org or develop this
functionality yourself and put it up for inclusion in the sources...

Cheers,

Sake