Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Sniffing communication between virtual machines

From: "Beno, Tal" <Tal_Beno@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 21:22:35 -0600
Using all types of VMs, currently VMware but it could be any.
Basically I need to record/capture all traffic between certain middleware, wherever they are deployed. They are always on different machines, but in a virtualized environment these could be virtual machines and not physical.
In a non virtual environment this is easy with a SPAN port mirroring. But would listening on the SPAN port allow me any traffic capturing of interaction between two application running on two virtual machines on the same physical box?

Thanks.
From: "Gianluca Varenni" <gianluca.varenni@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 09:39:53 -0800

Do you want to sniff on the VM guest or the VM host?
Which virtualization technology are you using (vmware, xen, virtual server...)?

Have a nice day
GV