Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Sniffing Wireless with Wireshark?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 14:02:54 -0800

On Nov 1, 2009, at 1:57 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

Unfortunately, there's no freeware *for Windows* that will make this
work better.

Actually, that's not true.

There's no freeware for Windows that will make this work better *in Wireshark*.

However, there is Microsoft Network Monitor:

	http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=103158&clcid=0x409

which is a free download, and which, at least on Windows Vista and probably Windows 7, should be able to capture on 802.11 devices. (It's not open source, but it is freeware - "free as in beer", i.e. you can download it without paying for it, but not "free as in speech", so you can't get the source to it from Microsoft, although the protocol descriptions it uses to dissect packets *are* available in source code form - they come with the download.)