Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Maximum file size?

From: "Anders Broman" <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:25:08 +0100
Hi,
There is separate issues here:
1) The largest file pointer possible to use e.g. physical file size.
2) The amount of memory used by Wireshark when analyzing a file/trace.

2 depends on the protocols in the trace and on preference settings in Wireshark, reassembly
Uses memory conversation tracking does to etc.

A lot of work has been put into the trunk version of Wireshark to try to reduce the amount of memory used,
fix memory leaks etc and also to speed up loading of the file. Development snapshot 1.3.1 is due to be released soon or you could try a development build.

Note that with large files filtering and other operations may becom slow so you want to keep your files as small as possible.

Regards
Anders