Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Maximum file size?

From: "Joel Seidman" <joel2009@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:20:54 -0700
Hi All.

I want to know the maximum capture file size (if there is one) that can
be loaded into 64-bit wireshark. I can't seem to find a definitive
answer.

I recently installed V 1.2.2 (SVN Rev. 29910) on a Vista computer (with
a substantial amount of RAM). I selected the 64-bit version when I
downloaded
it. I believe the required Service Pack was installed also (need to
confirm).

I eventually expect to have a capture file of several hundred MB or
more. I haven't actually had a problem loading a large file in 64-bit
wire shark (did with 32-bit version), but I did an experiment that may
be related.  I have a capture file of 143 Meg. I loaded it, which went
OK. Then I attempted to load it again in concatenation mode, and got an
error box: "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in
an unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more
information...".

So my question is, basically, what's the max? And whatever the answer,
is it possible to increase it by re-building from source? Any other
suggestions?

(I have read suggestions to break a large file up into smaller pieces,
but I'd like to avoid that step if it's possible. The purpose is to use
Wireshark's
analytical capabilities to process a very large set of data in toto.)

TIA.

-- Joel
--
  Joel Seidman