Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Followed stream "Save As" delay

From: Ray Simard <rhs.wshark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 17:56:26 -0700
I'm using Wireshark 1.2.2, but this happens with earlier versions as
well.  I'm running in Windows XP Pro, SP3.  I have not yet checked this
behavior in Linux.

When saving a followed TCP stream and bringing up the Save As dialog,
there is usually a considerable delay before the file list is populated
and the dialog accepts the desired file name and proceeds.

The actual delay seems to be random. Sometimes there's none at all;
sometimes it runs to several minutes, which, as you might imagine, is
quite an annoyance. There isn't any pattern I can determine.  This
happens when no other changes are made, such as saving to a different
directory; saving consecutive followed streams into the same location
still produces this seemingly random behavior.

It doesn't seem to matter how large the saved stream is.

Restarting Wireshark, or even restarting the computer makes no difference.

I've only seen one other reference to something like this in the mailing
list archives and it referred to a consistent delay of something like 27
seconds.  This seems to be something else entirely.

Any ideas?