Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Searching for a particular sequence in apacket

From: "Sake Blok" <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:21:20 +0200
Hi Hussain,

Unfortunately there is not (yet) a field "tcp.data", which would overcome your TCP options issue. However, with the field data.data you could accomplish what you need, it just might give you some "false positives". Here is what you could use:

data.data matches "\xe3....[\x4c\x38\x58]"

Which will match any *packet* in which there is an octet with the value 0xE3 followed by random octets with any value (represented by the dots) and then an octet with a value of either 0x4C, 0x38 or 0x58.

If however this sequense is segmented over 2 packets, the filter would not match. If the field tcp.data was available *and* the protocol dissector is able to reassemble the tcp-data, then the filter 'tcp.data matches "\xe3....[\x4c\x38\x58]"' would be exactly what you need.

Cheers,

Sake