Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] [wirshark-users]missing packet in promiscuous capture mode

From: "Bob Brusa" <bob.brusa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:52:10 +0200
-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wireshark-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bob Brusa
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:45 PM
To: wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Wireshark-users] [wirshark-users]missing packet in promiscuous capture mode

Hi
I am debugging the DHCP implementation of an embedded board. It should
receive its address from a ZyXEL P-661HW-D3 ADSL router. Using wireshark,
I can see that my board starts the DHCP-process, but I can not see any
answer of the ZyXEL to my boards requests. The funny thing however is,
that the debugging output of my board reports receipt of such an answer -
only to drop it because it claims a checksum error. This explains why the
DHCP process is not successful, but it does not explain why I do not see
this packet on wireshark. I have used filters of various kind - including
inspection by eye, packet for packet. This packet the board reports is not
in the list of captured packet of wireshark.

The topology of my LAN is as follows:

Zyxel___Planet switch___Planet switch ____ myboard
         FSD 1600        FSD 800      |____PC #1 running wireshark
                                      |____JTAG debugger

Does the switch play a dirty trick? Unlikely, because I see the packets
 from my board and all those other packets going to/from the PC and JTAG
debugger. And the DHCP-process for the two PCs was successful. Thanks for
advice.
   Robert