Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] [Ubuntu-Wireshark1.2.2-SIP] I cannot see some packets with

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 23:02:00 +0200
Hi,

Wireshark is just the 'top of the foodchain' so to speak. Below that in libpcap to do the capture. That is plugged into the OS'es network software, which itself sits on top of network card driver software, which works with the cards' firmware, which interacts with the network hardware.

As you see many pieces are involved. The Windows parts (network stack and drivers) are not well known for their VLAN support. In Linux (Ubuntu uses the Linux kernel) this is much better handled, even on the same hardware.

Thanx,
Jaap

ketzal devims wrote:
But I'm using Wireshark exactly on the same computer.
I removed Windows XP to put Ubuntu 9.04...

Best regards
Louis