Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] [Ubuntu-Wireshark1.2.2-SIP] I cannot see some packets with a b

From: ketzal devims <ketzaldevims@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:14:09 +0200

Hi all

I'm using Ubuntu Jaunty.
I installed Wireshark from official package by the "apt-get' command, and it set up Wireshark 1.0.7 on my computer.

I had some issues with capture filters with this version (I'll develop the issue below).

That's why I thought it was a 1.0.7 bug, and I downloaded 1.2.2 version from this site: http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Internet/HTTP-WWW-/Ethereal-1961.shtml

I moved files in my computer -> /opt/
I red the INSTALL file and did the following:
./configure

I had some problems because there was missing libraries, like flex, bison or libgtk2.0-dev, but I installed all these libraries, I did a make, and compiled Wireshark 1.2.2
I launched it, it was working, but I had the same issue than in 1.0.7

So, it's not a bug!!! :)

The issue:
I'm trying to capture SIP traffic
If I launch a capture without any filters, I can see some SIP packets in the network: REGISTER, 401 UNAUTHORIZED, 200OK...

all these SIP messages are working with UDP and port 5060 (for source AND destination)

If I launch with a capture filter (I tried a lot of filters: udp, port 5060, src port 5060, udp port 5060, host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, ...) I cannot see REGISTERs (or all sip requests in general) anymore for all these filters.

I�m able to see these packets without filter... Why can�t I see them with th filter?

Some friend told me it's a libpcap problem. The libpcap version in my computer is 1.0.0-1 (almost the last one)

What's going on??? I really don't understand.

I had some capture filters for wireshark under Windows XP, I put the same filters for Wireshark under Ubuntu (for 2 Wireshark versions) and it doesn't work...
It's really strange.

If someone has a solution, it would be a salvation for me.

Thanks in advance
Best regards

Ketzaldev