Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Retransmits of GIOP

From: <rkruz@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:56:44 -0400
When following a GIOP conversation with WS, I often see several retransmits of the identical GIOP packet in a row.
For example below:
Retrans is followed by a GIOP ACK to the 1st (original packet).
Then comes a TCP ACK to the 2nd packet.

1 GIOP#1 1st
2 (Retrans) GIOP#1 2nd
3 GIOP ACK to GIOP#1 1st
4 TCP  ACK to GIOP#1 2nd

After the GIOP ACK to the original packet, there appears to be a TCP ACK to each GIOP retrans.

Is this how it should be.?  Are the retrans packets then just dropped by the application?  How does the network differentiate between a GIOP ACK and a TCP ACK?

Any insight appreciated.