Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] MacOS 10.6 / Wireshark 1.2.1 - No interfaces to capture fr

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 18:58:02 -0700

On Sep 8, 2009, at 5:20 PM, Ron Ripley wrote:

I've installed the package for Wireshark 1.2.1 on MacOS 10.6.

Wireshark app loads great, but I run across two issues, the first it
does not display a list of interfaces in which I can capture.  Is this
because I am using MacOS 10.6 or did I miss something in the
installation.

1.2.2's ChmodBPF is a bit better. If you haven't already installed ChmodBPF, try downloading the 1.2.2 dmg and, after drag-installing Wireshark in /Applications, open up the Utilities folder and drag ChmodBPF into StartupItems. (It will prompt you with a dialog with an "Authenticate" button; click that button. You will need to be logged in on an account with administrative privileges.)

Then open up a Terminal window and do

	sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/StartupItems/ChmodBPF
	sudo /sbin/SystemStarter start ChmodBPF

and you should now get a list of interfaces on which you can capture.

Also, when trying to display help, It complains that I didn't properly
setup the web browser command, which looks for mozilla to launch, do I
need to install a non mac version of mozilla that X11 can use?

1.2.2 should fix that as well.