Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] [TCP Previous segment lost], TCP [TCP Dup ACK 125#1], RTM

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 11:36:58 +1000
Your trace unfortunately doesn't really show the root cause of your packet loss. The main data traffic can be seen by filtering for "tcp.stream eq 7". Using the IO graph and TCP time sequence graph (as well as the details showing retransmissions) doesn't show anything out of the ordinary.

The only thing you can say is that you are seeing about 10% of packets from the server being lost, but they all being retransmitted successfully. So everything is operating correctly.

Your stream is about 200kbps on average - the question is how many concurrent streams or other traffic is running on this pipe? You probably want to correlate your packet loss received with what you are seeing is the utilisation on the link. (And of course the problem may not be at your access - it could be anywhere between your ISP and amazon).

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx