Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] [TCP Previous segment lost], TCP [TCP Dup ACK 125#1], RTM

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 12:25:05 -0400
Hi Nikolai,

Using ip.host == "s3.amazonaws.com". The three way handshake appears
to be missing, but take a look at some of your window sizes: 90, 97,
98. They seem to occur early, and they are a result of HTTP
fetches/requests. Later you experience out of order packets and packet
loss.

I've seen this before, but I'm not sure I reached the right
conclusion. In my case, an IT guy was on the other end, who verified
his equipment settings. I spent a little time trying to FTP bulk data
between my site and a University that had a similar geoip while
running pings and tracerts. But I was not convinced the data was
passing through the same equipment.

I had to write it off to equipment in the network out of our control.
Some time later, we had Verizon on site. They performed a BERT and
found the line to be noisy. Outside Plant worked their magic, and I
have not observed the issue since then.

Jeff