Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Counting the number of duplcate packets

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:45:37 -0700

On Sep 3, 2009, at 9:39 PM, Steve Evans wrote:

I'm looking for a display filter that will count the number of duplicate packets.

1) What is your definition of a "duplicate packet"? Same frame content? Same IP identifier for IP packets?

2) Display filters do not have any state - they just test various fields in the packet or calculated by dissectors for the packet - and don't count things, so a display filter couldn't do this; another mechanism would have to be used.