Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] FTP analysis

From: "Chivian, John" <jchivian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 08:35:30 -0700

Echoing what Chris said it is my experience that many Windows FTP products are poorly written and several have caused my administrators (and my users) much heartache.  So much so in some cases that we have formally stated they should not be used and will not be supported by our internal resources.   Filezilla is a good choice and is the application we load on Windows systems for users that require it.

Are you running Wireshark on the client or the server?   If you can do both and compare them that may give you enough information to determine the real cause of the problem.

Also, given your statement that it was working and now isn't, you should obviously focus on the things that might have changed in your environment.  Was a piece of networking gear replaced?  Were the server or client updated with OS or security patches?   That sort of thing.

---

John (JC) Chivian
Staff Software Engineer

Staff Unix/Linux Administrator
Corporate Information Systems

Photronics, Inc.

---

Environmentalism is an ethic and a way of life.  Pass it on!