Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] TCP packets greater than 1516 bytes

From: Deborah Charan <dcharan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 12:50:13 -0500
I am looking at TCP traffic between two machines. I would like to see the actual packets, I don't want to see the whole stream, but instead would like to know the actual number of packets. Since this is over ethernet, the max size per packet should be ~1514 bytes. My TCP packets have 10K or 8K ... I upgraded to Wireshark 1.2.1, I have unchecked the TCP preference for "Allow subdisectors to reassemble TCP streams", I have tried disabling TCP and IP dissection altogether, and still the packets are thousands of bytes. Of course the ACKs are small, and every packet is not huge, but I just want to see the packets.
I'm running on Ubuntu if that is important.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Debbie Charan