Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark Performance on Laptops

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 00:28:37 +0200

http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-users/200906/msg00211.html

> > I can imagine the drivers being optimized for normal usage of the
> > network, not capturing.
>
> For desktop usage, that *might* mean no polling, as polling increases
> latency and boosts throughput, although if you're downloading
> something big, or streaming something, that might be the right tradeoff.
>
> For server usage, that might mean polling.

And for capturing, you want accurate timestamps (so 1 IRQ per packet)
and being able to handle a high amount of packets per second (polling).
I guess in the end, analysis of the data is more important than
capturing the data, as that can be done with other devices in most of
the time too.

> > Assuming you are working on a MacBook (Pro?), did you get a chance to
> > work with a SSD as well as a HDD? If so, did you experience different
> > performance?
>
> At home, an MBP; it has a (rather crowded) HDD:
>
> 	$ df /
> 	Filesystem   512-blocks      Used Available Capacity  Mounted on
> 	/dev/disk0s2  311909984 302013824   9384160    97%    /

Mmmm... I seem to keep filling up my laptop with data over and over
again too :-)

Cheers,

Sake