Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] known problem? OSX and the "Utilities"-Folder...

Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 17:59:31 +0200
hey list,

this is my first post here and im not sure if this problem is already known. Please be gracious with me if this is the wrong place to post the problem.

First, for the non-OSX User:
If you want to install an application in OSX, you only have to drag the binary file into your "Application"-folder - thats all.. But installing wireshark with this technique could get you in some trouble. The problem is that there is a folder in the .dmg installation package named "utilities". If you drag this folder into your "applications"-folder you are overwriting an existing system-folder which is also named "utilities"...

This is not a real bug or something, but you have to know that! If you dont know that, like me ;), you cant use all the fine osx tools like the Terminal anymore.
Now i have to do a new OSX Install to get my "Utilities" folder back :(

I hope my explanation is fair enough to understand ;-)

Greets