Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] CPU scalability to quad cores?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 08:43:02 -0400

Steve_Hackett@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi all. I'm new to this list so please go easy on me if this question has been raised before!

Do multiple CPU cores help when processing large captures (e.g. looking at conversations for instance)? I'm particularly interested in whether I would get a performance boost by moving from a dual core to a quad core machine. I note that many applications in general don't seem to scale well hence the reason for the question.

No: Wireshark is single threaded. (Making it multi-threaded wouldn't be easy, either.)