Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] CPU scalability to quad cores?

Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 11:27:07 +0100

Hi all. I'm new to this list so please go easy on me if this question has been raised before!

Do multiple CPU cores help when processing large captures (e.g. looking at conversations for instance)? I'm particularly interested in whether I would get a performance boost by moving from a dual core to a quad core machine. I note that many applications in general don't seem to scale well hence the reason for the question.

Thanks and regards,

Steve Hackett.

Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient. They may contain material protected by legal professional or other privilege. If you receive it in error, please delete it from your system, make no copies of it, do not disclose its contents to any third party or use it for your own or any other person's benefit. Please advise the sender of its receipt as soon as possible. Although this email and its attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free and no responsibility is accepted by the company for any loss or damage arising from receipt or use thereof. Any opinions expressed that do not relate to the official business of the company are those of the author, not the United Biscuits group of companies.

United Biscuits (UK) Limited Registered in England number 2506007 Registered Office: Hayes Park, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8EE