Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] find local IP from cap-file

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 01:19:34 -0700

On Aug 5, 2009, at 12:29 AM, Andrej van der Zee wrote:

I received huge cap-files that log multiple network-interfaces in both directions (outgoing and incoming traffic). Unfortunately I have no information about which IPs are bound to the sniffed network- interfaces. Is there any way to retrieve this information from the cap-files?

In a pcap file, no information is logged other than:

    in the file header:

	the byte order of non-packet data in the capture;
	the link-layer type of the interface;
	the snapshot length of the capture;
(there are fields for time zone offset and resolution, but no program I know of fills them in);

    in the per-packet header:

	the time the packet arrived;
	the number of bytes of captured data in the packet;
	the number of bytes the packet had on the network;
	the raw packet data.

No information about the interface on which traffic was captured other than the link-layer header type is saved.