Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] What does it mean the "Mark" string under the info in RTP

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 19:30:38 +0200
Hi,

This is used with Voice Activity Detection / Silence suppression. The RTP flow halts when no-speech is detected and when the speech resumes the first RTP packet has the marker bit set to signal this fact[1]. The use of the marker bit is profile specific[2], so look at the application of RTP to see if this is appropriate.

[1] http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/rtp/faq.html#marker
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/rfcmarkup?rfc=3550&draft=&url=#section-5.3

Thanx,
Jaap

Boaz Galil wrote:
Dear Experts,
I am reviewing G729 packet stream. I have noticed that I have lots of packets that have the string "Mark" in the info field. Guy/or any other expert - can you please share some information about the "Mark" string? Thanks in advance,

--
Boaz.