Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Why are there a lot of ARP traffic in anetwork?

From: Ian Schorr <ian.schorr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:21:12 +1000
I've found people (especially those that don't analyze traffic often) frequently misinterpret traffic volumes during idle periods.

I've had people tell me "it looks like the network is suddenly flooded with broadcasts", to find that they were simply looking at a capture of a time where not much was happening.

For example, they might be looking at a 100-second trace where the host they were monitoring was busy, then relatively idle for a 90 second period, then busy again.  As they browse through a packet list, they'd see that the first 4,000 packets might be primarily host-specific data, then the next 4,000 primarily ARPs and CDP packets and BPDUs and things, and then host data again.  So "obviously" there's suddenly a period where there are a "lot" of broadcasts.  But they don't notice that the deltas between each packet has changed, and so even though the packet list suddenly shifted to being mostly broadcast traffic, the RATE of ARPs and things didn't change.  But psychologically they just don't see it that way - they just see that suddenly the percentage of broadcast packets is suddenly different.  It's pretty common, partly a result of the way the packet list is presented.  I do it sometimes myself.

All I'm saying is that when you say "a lot of ARP" traffic, is it really "a lot"?  Or do you just see MOSTLY ARP (and maybe other broadcast) traffic because there's not much else going on the network segment you're monitoring?  How many ARPs do you see per second?