Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Ubuntu Linux: How to load SNMP mibs?

From: "Peter Valdemar Mørch (Lists)" <4ux6as402@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 08:43:50 +0200
I'd like to display SNMP information symbolically, and so I'll need to load mibs.

But I haven't found where to do that in Wireshark 1.0.3 on Ubuntu Intrepid (i386).

"Preferences -> Protocols -> SNMP" says: "MIB settings can be changed in the Name Resolution preferences"

However

"Preferences -> Name Resolution" has no mention of SNMP or SMI at all. (Even though numerous mailing list posts also suggest this is where to configure it)

Does anybody know how I can get wireshark to show ifInOctets.34 instead of .1.3.1<bla bla bla> by loading MIBs under ubuntu?

Peter

More information:

All my MIBs are in /usr/share/snmp/mibs (the standard place on ubuntu/debian for SNMP MIBs). I've tried installing all these packages:

libsmi2-common	0.4.7+dfsg-0.1
libsmi2-dev	0.4.7+dfsg-0.1
libsmi2ldbl	0.4.7+dfsg-0.1
libsnmp-base	5.4.1~dfsg-7.1ubuntu6.1
libsnmp15	5.4.1~dfsg-7.1ubuntu6.1
snmp	5.4.1~dfsg-7.1ubuntu6.1

Which means I should have both NET-SNMP and libsmi installed.

This article suggests libsmi.
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.wireshark.user/4330/match=mibs
So I installed libsmi2-common libsmi2-dev and libsmi2ldbl. No joy.

This post also mentions "Preferences->Name Resolution->SMI (MIB and PIB) paths" and suggests putting mibs in C:\Program Files\Wireshark\snmp\mibs:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.wireshark.user/6039/match=mibs
So I tried:
$ mkdir -p ~/.wireshark/snmp/mibs
$ cp /usr/share/snmp/mibs/* ~/.wireshark/snmp/mibs/
No joy. (Don't know where else to try)

--
Peter Valdemar M�rch
http://www.morch.com