Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] which Operating System for Wireshark ? bestperformance

From: "Phillips, Christopher M" <cmphil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 10:13:19 +0100

I have been doing a lot of work on this as I am capturing / processing data from around 4000 users on a gig link.

Ubuntu Linux (no gui)  has been more stable and slightly faster than xp sp3.  Also when is the last time you had to reboot your linux box ^_^.

Windows has a built in limit to how much memory a single process can use which I think is around the 2gb mark but don’t quote me.

Linux can also have something similar but it’s changeable.

Both windows/linux disk cache and sometimes does not free up the mem fast enough for a hungry Wireshark although Linux does it quicker and you can manually flush it if you want..

Never compared to win2k before.

What I suggest you do is separate the capture and display processes.   I don’t know what cpu you have but most modern ones have multiple cores and any particular tshark/Wireshark will only use one of them.

If you only want the headers use “–s x” where x is around 64 to save your memory.

For speed always use tshark to capture.  If you need on the fly make tshark move to a new capture file every x seconds.  You can then use tshark / and or Wireshark to display the capture file.

If you use tshark to display the capture file using “-o column.format” rather than “-T fields  -e” seems to be much faster.

Hope that helps.

Chris