Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Why to use Wireshark during downloading shared files ?

From: Hansang Bae <for_list_hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 13:05:21 -0400
ThomasLenaw@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hello,
Can someone help me with an opinion please ?
What could be a need for someone to use Wireshark during downloading of shared files from someone else's computer in P2P program, if these files come to the one who is downloading anyway ? Isn't it suspicious ? I feel that a purpose could be to gain more info from a computer than just the shared files. Am I right?
Thank you very much,

You've asked this three different times now. Why don't you ask the person doing the packet capture? There's nothing suspicious since you decided to participate in the P2P network, you allowed others to download data from your computer, and he's looking at incoming packets that you allowed him to receive.

You're asking the list to figure out why someone would capture packets destined for his own computer. It could be that

A) he's a master hacker disguising himself as a newb.
B) he's simply curious about packet capture
C) he found Wireshark and thinks it's a "hacker tool"
D) he simply has more time than he needs.
E) Any combination of the above.

--

Thanks,
Hansang