Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Using Ethereal and P2P program at the same time?

From: Wes <wes_r@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 09:25:00 -0700 (PDT)
Ethereal is simply a packet capture and decoding tool. It can capture packets on the computer it is run on as well as packets on the local LAN. It is possible to run a P2P program and Ethereal to capture packets at the same time.

Ethereal cannot be used directly to hack into anything, but by observing transactions, it is possible to use other programs to sometimes gain some level of access to another computer.

If you are going to use a P2P program, make sure you are only sharing what you want to share, have a good firewall and virus protection. Anytime you allow a level of access to your computer, you run the risk of that access being exploited. Anytime you put anything on or through the Internet, it can be observed by someone.

You would have to provide more information on what you are doing or what this other person is doing in order to provide much of an answer to your question, but this list is specific to Ethereal, not Hacking or P2P applications and vulnerabilities.