Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark V1.2.0 & GeoIP

From: "Keith French" <keithfrench@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:07:42 +0100
I am trying to get this new GeoIP feature working in Wireshark V1.2.0 running on Windows XP Pro. I have tried following the video by Laura Chappell and the article on the Wiki, but can't get the map to display.

I have downloaded the three GeoLite databases in compressed gz format and extracted them all to the same folder under My Documents. Then in Wireshark Preferences under Name Resolution I have set the GeoIP Database Directories dialog to contain one entry pointing to this folder where the databases are extracted to:-

C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\GeoIP

I then clicked OK and restarted Wireshark.

When I take a trace and then look in Endpoints, under the IP4 tab, I can see the Country, City, AS Number, Longitude & Latitude columns all populated.

However, if I click the map button (with an internet connection) nothing happens.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Keith French.