Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Mac OS- wireshark won't start - error message

From: Michael Tüxen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 07:12:37 +0200
On Jun 24, 2009, at 1:59 AM, Guy Harris wrote:

On Jun 23, 2009, at 4:33 PM, Phillip Estrada wrote:

I knew I shouldn't have upgraded. It was working before. I downloaded
the latest version now I can't get wireshark to start. I get this
error message. What do I do now?

	http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3397

Not only will it give you a later version of libpng12, it will give
you a whole bunch of bug fixes.

Gerald, are we building the releases - *and* the support libraries for
them, such as GTK+ - with the 10.5 SDK, or with the system libraries
on the build machine?  If the latter, that will, alas, produce builds
that only run on the OS version of the build or later versions, not
earlier versions, thanks to various X11 libraries

	1) using libtool's wacky library numbering scheme

and

	2) being updated with each software update.
The glib and gtk stuff are build using configure/make on the build
machines. I will rebuild gtk without libpng support, such that this
dependency goes away. And yes, I'm using the system provided libpng...

Best regards
Michael