Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Dissector legal question

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 11:57:21 +1000
On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 3:20 AM, Gerald Combs<gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is a proprietary dissector an absolute requirement? Keep in mind that
> it's nearly impossible to keep someone from reverse-engineering your
> protocol. Microsoft, U.C. Berkeley, and the U.S. Air Force all say so,
> so it must be true:

And big companies like BMC that are involved in developing system
management and monitoring systems that mostly using open and published
protocols (like SNMP, WMI, and so on) should recognise and embrace the
value of openness.

(And yes, I work for a very big company that also often struggles in
walking that line, so I am not just pointing the finger at you Tal ;-)
)

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx