Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark v1.2.0's msvcp90.dll real or FP?

From: Phillip Pi <ant@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:54:17 -0700
On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:45:53AM -0700, Gerald Combs wrote:

> >> I copied msvcp90.dll to a temp directory and ran "upx -q" on it using
> >> UPX 3.01w on it. The UPX-ed hashes are:
> >>
> >> MD5(msvcp90.dll)= 7b80921f9f6126f53f4250e2b23e0ea3
> >>
> >> I generated the hashes using "openssl md5", "openssl sha1", and "openssl
> >> rmd160" respectively.
> >
> > OK, that's better. So the files aren't tampered. Also, notice more than
> > one online scanners detected suspicious beside SuperAntiSpyware?
>
> Yes. Please note that
>
>   1) We've received quite a few virus reports in the past:
>      http://wiki.wireshark.org/FalsePositives
>
>   2) So far they've _all_ been false positives.
>
>   3) Trying to get confirmation about a specific positive for a specific
>      file from a specific vendor is often an exercise in joylessness.
>
> I'm not quite ready to declare this a false positive. However, the
> hashes for msvcp90.dll that we shipped match the ones on multiple
> systems (which appear to be clean), and the hashes for the version of
> UPX used to compress msvcp90.dll match those from a fresh download from
> SourceForge. It really, really looks like a false positive right now.

Yeah, I am thinking it is FP too. I am surprised that there a few
scanners thinking it is a bad file. Oy! :(
--
"Left right left right we're army ants. We swarm we fight. We have no
home. We roam. We race. You're lucky if we miss your place." --Douglas
| |o   o| |         Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
   \ _ /                 E-mail: philpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ant@xxxxxxxxxx
    ( )