Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Huge VoIP Problem :(

From: Mark Jeffers <mantramark@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:40:18 -0400
The phones actually act as a level 2 switch themselves.   They tag their own packets for VLAN9 (the voice VLAN on my network) and tag the packets of the PC attached to them (if there is one) as VLAN1.

Attaching a phone and a pc to the same switch port has made me nervous from day one, but the vendor swore up and down it would work no problem.

Also, one thing that has me shaking my head in disbelief is that while Allworx built their phones with VLAN tagging abilities, their main phone server can't tag its own packets.

But anyway, I was of course suspicious of the pc/phone combo, but some of my most problematic phones have no pc attached to them.  Plus, I figured building the VLANs would solve any problem related to that.   Perhaps I was wrong?

Cheers,
mj