Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] [Dissector bug, protocol DIAMETER: proto.c:1044: failed assert

From: Elvis Presley <phikus@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 15:37:36 +0400

Hello. During dump analysis I found that Wireshark can’t parse DIAMETER packet properly:

[Dissector bug, protocol DIAMETER: proto.c:1044: failed assertion "DISSECTOR_ASSERT_NOT_REACHED"]

(source line can be different different, because I tried versions 1.08, 1.13 and 1.20 pre1 and don’t remember the exact version-line number)

I made some analysis and found that it can be fixed by editing TGPPGmb.xml file in "diameter" folder by removing the following entry:

 <avp name="3GPP-Charging ID" code="2" mandatory="must" may-encrypt="yes" protected="may" vendor-bit="must" vendor-id="TGPP">

      <type type-name="Integer32"/>

    </avp>

It fixed the error, but DIAMETER AVP fields still can’t be parsed properly, i.e. AVP code 904 still can’t be displayed, but it does exist in TGPPGmb.xml.

Dump attached.

This error (Dissector bug) is not seen in Wireshark 1.02, but AVP code problem exists in 1.02 too

Best regards,
Alexander